The Augsburg Town Hall was built between 1615 and 1620 under the guidance of city architect Elias Holl and is considered the most significant secular Renaissance building north of the Alps. Its size and splendor express the self-assuredness of the then Free Imperial City of Augsburg, the site numerous Diets.
During a bombing attack in February 1944, the Town Hall took a direct hit and only the burned-out shell remained standing. The façade was restored after the war, and in 1985, in honor of the city’s 2000-year anniversary, the inside of the building was completely renovated. The restorers paid careful attention to historical detail, particularly in the Goldener Saal with its magnificent golden portals, coffered ceiling, and murals; and to the adjacent Prince’s Chambers (Fürstenzimmer).
The Goldener Saal and Fürstenzimmer are used for receptions and festivities but they can also be visited. One can also rent rooms in the Town Hall for private occasions.
Sie können die Säle des Rathauses auch mieten.