In 1876, the municipality decided to build a theater on a filled-in section of the former city moat. Built by the well-known Viennese theater architects Hellmer and Fellner in neo-Renaissance style, the theater had 1400 seats and was rich in architectural ornamentation.
The festive opening was celebrated in 1877 with a production of Beethoven’s “Fidelio”. The theater underwent a major renovation in 1938-39, led by Paul Baumgarten, when the front entry was enlarged from three to five portals and the inside was redecorated in the style of the period.
The theater suffered severe bombing damage in the Second World War and in was rebuilt in 1952; on the outside as it had been in the 30’s and the inside in the style of the 50’s. The reopening took place in 1956 with a production of Mozart’s “Marriage of Figaro” and since then it is the home and principal venue for Theater Augsburg, a municipal self-contained business with spoken theater, musical theater and dance divisions as well as a philharmonic orchestra.