…and then some
The rococo palace of banker Liebert von Liebenhofen is prominently located in the Maximilianstrasse. Its construction according to plans by the Munich court architect Lespilliez took place in the years during the years 1765-1770; the Schaezler Palace is considered the most impressive rococo building in Augsburg. The Palace’s showpiece is the 23 m (75 ft) long ballroom with carved ornamentation, elaborate plasterwork, mirrored walls and a ceiling fresco by Gregorio Gugliemi. Liebert’s son-in-law, Baron Johann Lorenz Schaezler, acquired the palace in 1821 and it remained in the family until 1958, when it was given to the city of Augsburg on the condition that it be used for cultural purposes. Following a thorough restoration, the Schaezler Palace re-opened in 2006. Today it is a part of the Municipal Museums and Art Collections and accommodates the German Baroque Gallery, the Bavarian State Gallery and the Haverstock Foundation.