Elias Holl built the one-time weapons arsenal in 1607; its ornate mannerist style façade was designed by Joseph Heintz. Over the portal is a bronze grouping designed by Hans Reichle and cast by Wolfgang Neidhart depicting St. Michael in the battle against Satan.
In 1806, the Armory became the property of the Kingdom of Bavaria. It was bought back by the city of Augsburg in 1895; in the following years it was used as Fire Department headquarters.
Since its renovation in 1978-80, the Armory has been used as an adult education and meeting center and since 2003 the Albert Greiner Sing and Music School has made its home there. The magnificent Toskanische Säulenhalle serves as a home for traveling exhibitions.
For more information, go to the Zeughaus website (in German)